How to Judge a Book by Its Cover: A Brief Introduction to Book Bindings - On Demand
Course Registration $25.00 Members
In this webinar, Dr. Kalika Sands, Sotheby's, will focus on various book binding styles over the centuries, and explore how these evolved and adapted to changing tastes and needs. The webinar will also examine some of the ways in which a book’s binding can contribute to the overall rarity and value of that object.
This is a recording of a webinar previously held live on March 22, 2023.
1 CE Credit
Dr. Sands joined Sotheby’s in 2017 as an Associate Cataloguer in the Books & Manuscripts department. She completed her D.Phil. (Ph.D.) at the University of Oxford, where her research focused on the intersections of British literature and the history of science and medicine. Since 2012, she has been invited by various organizations—to include the British Society for Literature and Science, the Commission on Science and Literature, the Literary London Society, and the University of Georgia, among others—to present her research. Beyond her academic work, Dr. Sands was employed by various Oxford-based bookdealers, and served as Assistant Curator for the Bodleian Library’s “From Downing Street to the Trenches: First-Hand Accounts from the Great War, 1914-1916” exhibition and companion book project (published under the same name, Bodleian Library, 2014). Dr. Sands was elected a member of the Guild of St. George in 2017, and a member of the Grolier Club in 2019
- Wednesday, Apr 12, 2023 17th Annual Award Luncheon
- On Demand Of Value 2021 National Conference - The Art Market After Covid 19 A Radical Break?
- On Demand Of Value 2021 National Conference - Recent Developments in the Art Market
- On Demand Of Value 2021 National Conference - Perspectives on the Furniture and Decorative Arts Market
- On Demand Of Value 2021 National Conference - Artists in Exile Women Surrealists in Mexico
- On Demand Contemporary Western Art